As a church family, one of our primary desires is to seek the face of God through prayer. Pursuing God through prayer allows us to cultivate a relationship with Him and to discern His plans for our church. Prayer allows us to align our hearts with God and to access God’s power for the ministries that He has entrusted to us.
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
– 2 Chronicles 7:14
The goal of our prayer team, and the prayer ministry, is to see every aspect of Gospel Community Church covered in prayer as well as seeing every member become more engaged in prayer.
The first, and primary, portion of our vision as a church is to “love God.” As in any relationship, our relationship with God is cultivated through communion and communication. We believe that prayer brings intimacy with God. It allows us to be transparent with Him and to discern His calling and leading. Prayer is a powerful tool for spiritual growth as well as outreach. In John 15:5 Jesus said, “I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” In light of this, as a church we never want to do anything apart from Christ.
Ways to Get Involved
Sunday Morning Prayer
- We meet every Sunday morning (7:45 am) before the first service to bathe the services and ministries in prayer. Everyone is welcome!
- Our prayer team is also available at the end of every worship service.
- Acts 1:14 “These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer…”
- Matthew 18:20 “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
- The prayer team helps to intercede for specific prayer requests and ministries of the church throughout the week. We always need people who are willing to join us in praying for the special requests which come into the church.
- Ephesians 6:18 “Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints.”
- Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
Quarterly Prayer Gatherings
- Once a quarter, the prayer team gathers on a Friday night to pray together, plan together, and encourage one another.
- Colossians 4:2 “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.”
- From time to time, the prayer team helps to organize special events (i.e. Good Friday Prayer Service, Prayer Walks, Prayer and Worship Night, etc.)
- John 15:16 “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.”
Special Home-Hospital Visits
- The prayer team, along with member of our elder team, available for home or hospital visits. This can be scheduled through the Gospel Community Church office.
- James 5:16 “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.”
Passages that Encourage Us to Pray
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
1 John 5:14 “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.”
Jeremiah 29:12 “Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.”
Mark 11:24 “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.”
Romans 12:12 “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”
Psalm 145:18 “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.”
Jeremiah 33:3 “Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”
Hebrews 4:16 “Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”
James 1:6 “But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.”
1 Peter 4:7 “The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.”